The causes of stomach ache can be many and it is not always easy to identify them. Let’s see what they are, along with some natural remedies and useful food advice in case of a stomach ache to relieve the pain.
Who has not experienced the annoying stomach ache? It is characterized by an unpleasant abdominal pain that can be passing or even hours or days, it can be localized or widespread and, again, it can be fixed or spastic.
Often with the expression of an abdominal pain also refers to a stomach ache, even if two different situations should be considered. A stomach ache may seem the same, but what makes the difference is the duration, frequency and intensity of the pain. In addition, the stomach ache is located in the lower abdomen, while the stomach ache is higher, just below the breastbone.
In any case, it is always better to contact the doctor who will examine the symptoms to understand if necessary to make investigations. Many times it may be a sporadic episode perhaps due to a hearty meal, but, especially if it is an acute and disabling pain, it could have a more serious meaning as appendicitis or pancreatic.
The causes of stomach ache can be many, also because in the abdominal region we find more organs such as stomach, liver, small intestine and large intestine, spleen, pancreas, gall bladder. Let’s see them in detail.
The causes of an abdominal pain
An abdominal pain can be caused by various factors, some milder and others more serious, due to major diseases. Let’s find out together …
- The gastritis, or inflammation of the stomach wall due to harmful factors such as alcohol abuse or coffee;
- A poor diet, which is one of the most common causes of stomach ache, due to the ingestion of an excessive amount of food and / or food that weighs digestion such as fried foods, sweets, sugary drinks and junk food;
- The constipation, as the accumulation, even for several days, of ingested food in the intestines can cause abdominal pain;
- The prolonged fasting can cause the so-called hunger pains;
- The menstruation can be painful and cause sore from cycle belly, dysmenorrhea is very frequent in women;
- Some medications such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can cause stomach ache due to their detrimental effect on the mucous membranes, and their abuse can even lead to ulcers;
- The irritable bowel syndrome, which is fairly widespread in the population, and is characterized by alterations in the intestinal motility (frequency and stool consistency) and is accompanied by diarrhea or constipation;
- The intestinal infections are also quite common, often due to bacteria or viruses most frequently and accompanied more often with diarrhea and / or vomiting, but resolve within a few days;
- The food intolerance may be responsible for stomach ache as lactose intolerance, in this case the problem is solved by consuming lactose-free milk or other foods from the diet by eliminating the food is not tolerated;
- Even stress and anxiety can be responsible for stomach ache, let’s not forget that the intestine is our second brain;
- Some more serious pathologies may be responsible for abdominal pains especially appendicitis, pancreatitis, ovarian cysts, kidney stones, cholecystitis, colorectal tumors, intestinal diverticula, gallbladder stones, cystitis, inflammatory bowel disease, intestinal obstruction.
Symptoms of an abdominal pain
The stomach ache is manifested as abdominal pain that can be fixed or spastic and localized in one spot or spread. As anticipated above, the stomach ache shows up in the lower part of the abdomen (unlike the stomach ache, which appears higher up).
This disorder can be accompanied by abdominal swelling and flatulence, stomach acid, poor digestion, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and belching. Now let’s see some remedies for an abdominal pain, to be used if it is mild and episodic.
Stomach ache: Natural remedies and practical advice
Nature comes to the rescue with so many remedies in case of mild stomach ache , usable especially when the stomach ache is caused by poor diet and related difficulty digestion.
✓ Chamomile herbal tea
Chamomile is a plant with relaxing, calming and soothing properties for gastrointestinal mucosa. To take advantage of its properties you need to drink the hot herbal tea, prepared by resting a teaspoon of chamomile flower heads in a cup of water for 10 minutes and then filtered.
✓ Fennel infusion due to bad digestion
Fennel seeds are ideal for stomach ache accompanied by poor digestion and abdominal gas. It is necessary to boil a teaspoon of fennel seeds in 200 m of water for 5 minutes, let stand for 10 minutes, filter and drink.
✓ Bay tea
The bay leaves help to calm the abdominal cramps, especially if added to the chamomile tea. 3 or 4 leaves are sufficient.
✓ Melissa herbal tea against stomach ache
Melissa is an antispasmodic plant that relaxes the nervous system and reduces spasms of the intestinal muscles. It is sufficient to rest for 20 minutes a tablespoon of dried lemon balm in 200 m of boiling water, filter and drink. Alternatively, you can use the lemon balm in the form of mother tincture, available in herbal medicine.
✓ Ginger against stomach ache with nausea
Ginger is a root with a powerful anti-inflammatory action, which can be used to soothe a stomach ache, as long as you do not overdo it with doses, as the opposite effect could be obtained. The ideal is to consume it in the form of herbal tea, boiling 2 cm of ginger root in a cup of water for 5/10 minutes, or as a dry root to chew if necessary. Ginger is very effective when stomach ache is accompanied by nausea.
✓ Lactic ferments in case of an abdominal pain with diarrhea
If the stomach ache is caused by an imbalance of the intestinal bacterial flora, it is advisable to restore it through the intake of appropriate lactic ferments.
✓ Hot water bag
A remedy perhaps obvious but effective in many cases is heat, as it is able to alleviate cramps and related abdominal pain.
Nutrition advice in case of an abdominal pain
In case of an abdominal pain, after having ascertained the cause with the help of the doctor, it is very important to eat light food without too many condiments and to abolish sweets, sugary drinks, sauces and intigoli etc. In the event that the stomach ache was accompanied by diarrhea it is recommended a completely white diet and drink a lot, to restore the lost fluids. Let’s see in detail the foods to avoid and those to be preferred in case of stomach ache.
Food to avoid:
- Sweetened and carbonated soft drinks, which hinder digestion;
- Fried foods, which irritate the gastrointestinal mucosa;
- Heavy foods such as cheeses, fatty fish, fatty meats and cured meats which, due to their high fat content, hinder digestion;
- Alcohol, coffee and spicy spices that irritate the mucous membranes;
- Foods that irritate the mucous membranes and / or are difficult to digest like chocolate, tomatoes, peppers, onions, citrus fruits, sweets.
- White or semi-wholemeal rice, pasta in white, toasted bread;
- White meats and lean fish such as cod and hake;
- Vegetables such as courgettes and carrots (also cooked);
- Fruit such as apples (also cooked) and pears.
How to prevent stomach ache
An abdominal pain can be prevented if it involves common causes such as poor eating habits by adopting a healthy diet and avoiding overeating. It is good not to abuse alcohol or spicy foods, as well as drugs that can cause irritation, except when it is necessary and only on medical advice.