Chronic stress is “an epidemic of modern society”, which actually has negative effects on health; Know what your main symptoms.
Causes of chronic stress
We all know already what is stress, who has no daily small events that stress us lose the subway and late to work, a meeting of neighbors that do not want us to go, a visit from the mother, a boiler Spoiled , etc.
Another very different thing is chronic stress. Chronic stress or consist of problems, threats and conflicts with high durability over time that most people in their daily lives.
We can have various types of chronic stress
- Overload. We talk for example of professionals or caregivers severely hampered some familiar roles.
- Interpersonal conflicts. They are among people who interact with each other, husband and wife example, father and son, employee and boss, etc.
- Incompatibility between work and family demands.
- Economic problems such as long-term unemployment or abusive mortgage.
- Other conditions or problems such as serious illness.
Consequences of chronic stress
The consequences of long-term stress are given by maintaining blood of high levels of cortisol (stress hormone).
This hormone is necessary to keep us active and together with melatonin, delimits our circadian rhythm or biological clock. A healthy person produces cortisol with sunlight as the sun goes down, falls cortisol and produce melatonin (the hormone rest). The problem is that chronic stress cortisol levels do not drop, rise more than the account or do not fall as much as they should.
You may also like to read another article on eGoodH: Tips For Improving Our Mental Agility
The most common symptoms are
- Sleep disturbances, nightmares, insomnia or oversleeping
- Loss of memory
- Irritable bowel or abdominal pain
- Muscle contractures
- Low defenses with increased susceptibility to infections.
- Mood swings, irritability, depression and anxiety
In addition, chronic stress is a risk factor for diabetes, heart disease and weight gain.
Recommendations to address chronic stress
It is clear that ideally eliminate stress but many of them (a sick family member or dependent, a bad economic situation, etc.), do not depend on us.
So let’s focus on those things that we can indeed change
- Learning assertiveness techniques
- Melatonin for better rest
- Herbs like passionflower relaxing, valerian, red poppy, hops or hawthorn.
- Moderate exercise
- Bach flowers
- Other: Take relaxing baths with essential oil of lavender or mandarin, read something entertaining that evades us problems, listen to music, etc.