Do you know everything about the genetic test? We give some key insights from our Health Blog. Since a person inherits half of their genetic information from their parents and are the genes that determine which genetic traits are inheriting, such as the color of eyes and hair, but also risks of certain diseases.
Therefore, the genetic test examines the DNA of cells of an individual to identify changes in the genes or analyzing the number, arrangement and characteristics of the chromosomes and the tests for their detection can be performed on samples of blood, urine, saliva, semen, body tissues, bones or hair.
What is genetic testing?
– Find out if people with a family history of a specific disease is likely to develop the disease.
– Check if you are a carrier of metabolic diseases, which can help guide the most appropriate treatment for the baby.
– Provides prenatal testing during pregnancy to help identify certain diseases in the fetus.
– Whether the fetus has Down syndrome.
– Determine the newborn which diseases are causing health problems and development.
– Know if you carry a genetic change that increases the risk of a disease such as breast cancer or Huntington’s disease or that may affect the treatment of diseases like HIV or some cancers.
– Choose which drugs work best with your genetic makeup.
This test requires no preparation whatsoever, just talk to your doctor tell par concerns about the same or even a genetic counselor to help you understand the risk of developing a genetic disease.
For the test will take a blood sample from a vein, which generally will not cause any pain at most a slight pinch, after which no effect just a bruise at the site has made the puncture; only in rare cases can cause phlebitis or people with bleeding disorders, extreme bleeding.
Results of genetic testing
The results of genetic tests depend on what type of test being performed, but can be used for:
– Provide information on the possibility of developing a disease in the future.
– Diagnose a hereditary disease, provide information on the severity of it or determine if you are carrying the disease.
– Assistance in choosing the most appropriate treatment for some diseases, such as cancer.
A disadvantage must say that genetic testing has generally have a low risk of negative impact on physical health, but can be difficult to find out the results, both financially and emotionally.